Anyone know where I can get.................

Discussion in 'UK Motorcycles' started by Miles Reading, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. Doing a repair on a bike with twin rear shocks where one of the bolts
    has sheared where it ataches to the frame.

    The shocks are secured using a bolt that goes through a plate that is
    welded to the frame and then has a spacer which fits into the eye of
    the shock. The spacer is welded to the frame plate and the back of the
    bolt is welded too.

    Looks like it is easiets to cut out the bolt and cut and weld a one
    piece plate over both sides and then put a new bolt through and weld
    this to the back of the frame plate to secure it.

    Getting hold of a new bolt and new plate metal is pretty easy, however
    any ideas where I can get one of the spacers from?, if you dont use a
    spacer you end up with a shock that is a loose fit on the bolt.

    Miles Reading, Jan 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. Miles Reading

    Andy Bonwick Guest

    Can you not weld the original parts back on? I'd have thought you
    could put the shock back on and use it to position the broken parts
    then tack/fully weld it in position.
    Andy Bonwick, Jan 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. Miles Reading

    Pete Fisher Guest

    In communiqué <>,
    Not sure I have understood properly. Has the shock mounting eye got a
    rubber bush with a steel insert bonded into in it?

    I have fitted non OEM shocks to a few bike over the years. You used to
    be able to get different sleeves for Konis to allow for mounting bolt
    diameter or even fit different bushes.

    Can you not use a new bolt of a diameter to suit the shock mounting eye?


    | Pete Fisher at Home: |
    | Voxan Roadster Gilera Nordwest Yamaha WR250Z |
    | Gilera GFR Moto Morini 2C/375 |
    Pete Fisher, Jan 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.