Converting a dirtbike into a dualsport

Discussion in 'Motorbike Technical Discussion' started by summitlt, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. summitlt

    summitlt Guest

    I got the bug for a Dualsport bike, but its hard to find what I want,
    so I thought of converting a regular dirtbike.

    As far as I know id need:

    Controls (for the blinekrs, horn, lights ect)

    They have kits at denniskirk, but theyre $400, and im trying to find a
    cheap bike and it probably wouldnt be worth dumping that much money
    into it.

    Id like to hold out for a dualsport (Hopefully a KLR 250) but im
    looking into this as a last resort. Is it possiblt to do it cheaper
    than about $500? To convert the bike?
    summitlt, Mar 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. summitlt

    Paul Cassel Guest

    Sure, find a bike that's close like a DRZ-E or K model. Or you can just
    buy the parts and make your own 'kit'. Kits like BD have stuff like
    wiring harnesses. If you DIY, it's a lot cheaper, but it also depends on
    your locale. Some are easy to d/s register, others aren't. CHECK before!
    Paul Cassel, Mar 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. summitlt

    FB Guest

    Getting all the parts to make a dirt bike street legal is the *easy*
    part. It's the bureaucracy you have to fight that's a pain in the butt.
    And, even if you do get a license plate on the dirt bike, you're going
    to have cops following you around, stopping you and inspecting the
    machine and telling you that they know that's a dirt bike, and where
    did you steal the license plate from. They'll be telling you it's a
    *crime* to display a license plate on a vehicle it doesn't belong to.

    Don't ask how I know all this.

    Before trying to register a dirt bike for the street, google up your
    state's department of motor vehicles and see what the process involves
    for registering a dirt bike as a dual sport.

    In California, the DMV has a list of motorcycles that can never be
    registered for the street and they can tell by reading the vehicle
    identification number stamped on the frame.

    Like, you can never street register a dirtbike that has CR, YZ, TM, or
    in the vehicle identification number.

    When I registered my KLR, the VIN says "KL***********" and they were
    down to checking the final 2 digits of the number to see if they could
    register it.

    The DMV inspector will also look for two stickers, one is certifying
    that the bike is US Department of Transportation legal, the other
    certifies that it's Environmental Protection Agency legal. I knew the
    inspector would want to see those stickers so I pointed them out.

    While you may be able to buy those stickers and apply them to your
    machine, you'd need to know which VIN numbers were unregisterable. If
    you find yourself tempted to alter the VIN number, you might have some
    hotshot cop stop you, check out the umbers on the frame, tell you that
    the motorbike is probably stolen and impound it for investigation. Then
    they will park it at the official police garage and you'll be charged
    towing fees and storage fees for every day it's there.

    If you have a title to the dirtbike, you might take the title to the
    DMV and inquire if they would even consider registering the machine if
    it was made street legal.
    FB, Mar 9, 2006
  4. If you've already got the dirt bike, your best bet might be
    to look for a junk dualsport and try to put two together.
    Besides cost, there's DMV paperwork, as others have
    already pointed out. A junk dualsport could be useful
    for both the title and the electrics.
    Rob Kleinschmidt, Mar 9, 2006
  5. summitlt

    badaztek Guest

    it's getting tough to convert a off road vehicle for road use if they
    didnt come from the factory like that ,thats why some guys are
    converting street bikes to dual sports ,some guys are buying the buell
    blasts,certain models triumphs and bmw's and a couple different asian
    sport bikes for this duty ,by adapting the suspension and relocating the
    footpegs and what ever they have to do to give the clearance needed and
    reinforce the chassis ,thats one way to go too
    or you best bet may be is got get your self an older dual sport and fix
    it up around here i've seen them go for a few hundred bucks running and
    couple hundred bucks to fixup ,but you need to find the info on what you
    can do and can't do and look into the loopholes as well ,because every
    state is different so you have to research it
    good luck and have fun
    badaztek, Mar 14, 2006
  6. Every manufacturer that you mention has built what they call
    "adventure touring" bikes. Triumph recently dropped the
    Tiger and is now launching the Scrambler.

    I don't believe many people are doing conversions on their own,
    although they used to several decades ago. I suspect liter bikes
    are outside the OPs budget anyway.
    Rob Kleinschmidt, Mar 15, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.