DE-power 125cc Honda into UN-regulated scooter.... How?

Discussion in 'Motorbike Technical Discussion' started by Two Horse, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Two Horse

    Two Horse Guest

    Minnesota just passed a new law allowing low-power, low-speed
    "motorized scooters" to be allowed on non-highways. No driver/vehicle
    license nor insurance is required. They are to be considered BICYCLES
    !! Must be 2bhp or less and 30 mph top speed up a 1% grade. Head/tail
    lights required. Twelve (12) y.o. minimum age. Fifty (50) CCs max.

    I have a 1973 125cc Honda CB that I want to DE-power/size to above
    specs. But how? Can I de-stroke and cylinder-sleave this one (1)-
    cylinder engine? OR, can I fuel/air-starve (great thought Two Horse)
    with a much smaller carb? Engine is a 4-cycle design.

    Any ideas would be appreciated,

    Two Horse
    Two Horse, Aug 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Two Horse

    mike Guest

    This is nutz.
    Call up the DMV and ask them.
    You'll likely find that the VIN sticker is all they care about.
    And you have a 125cc sticker.
    And don't try to tell me that the DMV doesn't care.
    YOU care...when the pedestrian you hit sues you and you don't have
    insurance. And the courts decide that it's a 125cc bike and pile on
    extra charges. And then they decide that you modified the vehicle
    and it's no longer safe and pile on extra charges.

    If you want a 50cc bike, trade it with someone who wants a 125cc bike.

    And don't get me started on insurance...or lack thereof.

    Return address is VALID but some sites block emails
    with links. Delete this sig when replying.
    Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW.
    FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer
    Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
    Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below.
    mike, Aug 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. Two Horse

    Two Horse Guest


    No Mike,
    I think its very do-able. I could run a mix of 50/50 gas/ethanol. That
    reduces power by 25%. Use thick head gasket to reduce compression.
    Lock the manual choke in a semi-closed position (this is required
    anyway because ethanol requires a richer mixture to even burn). Use a
    much smaller carb for less power and driveability. De-fang the cam. I
    should have a real slug by now. I mis-spoke before; registration and
    insurance is required. Besides, I need a heavy bike because I'm heavy.
    Just one with 2hp.

    Two Horse
    Two Horse, Aug 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.