Direct Access / Restricted Access - How to tell the difference on a driving license

Discussion in 'UK Motorcycles' started by Billy O'Dwyer, Jun 23, 2008.

  1. Hello all.

    Wonder if any of you experts could clear up the following niggling query of
    mine, that is not adequately explained on any offical web-site or leaflet as
    far as I can see...

    A motorcyclist over 21 has the option of two different tests:

    Category A - Standard Test
    (thereby restricted to bikes 25kW 0.16kW/kg for two years)
    Category A - Direct Access Test
    (no restriction)

    My question relates to how to differentiate between the two (for they are
    both category A) entitlements by looking at the driving license of someone
    (over 21) who has recently passed a motorycle test. Is there perhaps a
    numerical code, as per automatic vehicles or modified vehicles? The DVLA
    info infers not, only making a distinction between Category A and Category
    A1. Surely it is not down to the riders honestly "Yes, officer, I definately
    remember taking a direct access test." "On you go then, son!"

    Perhaps some recent passees could take a look at their licenses and let us
    know the answer.

    Billy O'Dwyer, Jun 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. Billy O'Dwyer

    AndrewR Guest

    The light bike test is an A1, isn't it?
    AndrewR, Jun 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Billy O'Dwyer

    wsotw Guest

    Looking at my license it has dashes(indicating not taken/relevant) in
    the <25k column and the Letter A in the big bike section(unrestricted)
    of the 'A' entitlement.

    I did the direct access (mind it was 10 years ago.).
    I would have thought that had someone done the test for the <25k there
    would have been some mark in that particular/relevant column. Then when
    they were eligible for the unrestricted class, an additional letter in
    that part.
    wsotw, Jun 23, 2008
  4. Yes, I should have made it clearer, the over-21 has a choice of 4 tests:

    Category A - Large Bike, Restricted to 25kW for two years
    Category A - Large Bike, Unrestricted "Direct access"
    Category A1 - Light bike, upto 125cc & 11kW
    Category P - Moped, upto 50cc & 50km/h

    It is the distinction (on the physical printed driving license) between the
    two at the top that I'm interested in, as the DVLA documentation is so

    Billy O'Dwyer, Jun 23, 2008
  5. Thanks for the reply.

    Presumably you are talking about the old style folded paper license?

    Still leaves the question as to how it is currently recorded, as there is no
    column for power on the photocard/counterpart. And there appears to be no
    numerical code to indicate the power restriction either, despite there being
    codes for all sorts of other obscure things.

    Hmm... Might never solve this mystery.

    Billy O'Dwyer, Jun 27, 2008
  6. Billy O'Dwyer

    Eddie Guest

    That's the standard charge for obtaining a replacement licence.

    Just wait until you change address, name or gender, and you'll get an
    updated licence for free.
    Eddie, Jun 27, 2008
  7. Billy O'Dwyer

    Ace Guest

    Why wait? Just borrow a friends address for a while, then move back

    ..'_/_|_\_'. Ace ( at
    \`\ | /`/
    `\\ | //' BOTAFOT#3, SbS#2, UKRMMA#13, DFV#8, SKA#2, IBB#10
    Ace, Jun 27, 2008
  8. Billy O'Dwyer

    MikeH Guest

    That does give them an extra chance to lose your entitlement somewhere.
    MikeH, Jun 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.