Is it me, or the bike? BMW K1200RS question

Discussion in 'Bay Area Bikers' started by KS, Sep 4, 2003.

1. KS

Rich Guest

You're also going to have to watch your weight. ;-}
    R, UB

Rich, Sep 18, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. KS

Rich Guest

If I get one for my cage, can I use the HOV lane?

R, UB

Rich, Sep 18, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. KS

Sully Guest

My $0.02125.....

No disrespect intended toward Gary (at all), but you're way better off learning how to set
    up your own suspension. Gary adjusted the suspension on my ZX-7 at a free clinic at
    Helimot and it was not good. I had it set up to where it was close - for what I ride and
    like - but not perfect; I was hoping to get it fine tuned.... At the clinic, the spring
    preload was used to try to raise the rear ride height instead of the height adjuster and
    made the rear end hard as a rock. I had to explain the damping adjuster for the rear
    shock to convince them (Gary and his helper) that if it got set at anything higher than
    "1" it was going to be WAY too hard (4 position adjuster). The front damping ended up
    being set too hard as well. It's not that big a deal, but having someone else set up your
    suspension will lead to it being set up for their tastes and feels - not yours - unless
    they're really willing to work with you and have the time. Take a class or do some
    research, and LEARN how to set sag, LEARN how to set ride height, LEARN how to set
    compression and rebound damping, and then set them up for you and your ride. You'll be
    more comfortable, more confident, and a better rider and wrench for it.

On the good side (and in Mr. Jahne's defense), I listened to what they were talking about
    while they were making changes (don't forget that 2 ears are good tools). Gary knows the
    theory, but each rider and bike is different. If he'd had more time to deal with
    individual bikes and riders, I have no doubt we'd have connected and dealt with the
    niggling little details that I was working on ironing out. In the end, I made the 3mm
    rear ride height adjustment they wanted, set the rear preload back to where I wanted it,
    raised he forks 2mm, reset the front preload, and all is rosy. Damn, but it turns NOW
    when I think about it. :-D

Sully, Sep 19, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question