Quick noob claim question

Discussion in 'UK Motorcycles' started by Cap'n, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Cap'n

    Cap'n Guest

    If someone knocks over my bike & admits full responsibility, I *can't*
    claim off their insurance for repairs if *I* only have third/fire/theft?
    Cap'n, Feb 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. Cap'n

    Krusty Guest

    Yes you can. You can't claim off *your* insurance though.


    Off-road classifieds

    '02 MV Senna '03 Tiger '96 Tiger '79 Fantic 250
    Krusty, Feb 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, Cap'n

    Wicked Uncle Nigel - There are few things in life more sinister than a
    public toilet with the lid closed.

    SBS#39 OMF#6 Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
    Honda GL1000K2 (On its hols) Kawasaki ZN1300 Voyager "Oh, Oh, It's so big"
    Suzuki TS250 "The Africa Single" Yamaha GTS1000
    Wicked Uncle Nigel, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Cap'n

    Cap'n Guest

    Hmm.. Not being sure what to do I called my insurer first
    (www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk). Do I call 'em again or contact this chap's
    insurers? (he's given me all his details inc. incident report ref).
    Cap'n, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Cap'n

    deadmail Guest

    That's very true. You also have to send me 25 quid every time it
    deadmail, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Cap'n

    BGN Guest

    In what way did they knock your bike over?

    Was it on the road with the side stand up and a padestrian knocked it

    Did someone hit it with their car or whatever?

    I trust you took out Legal Cover with your TPF&T policy with ebike.
    The third part are likely to be responsible for the repair of your

    Does your ebike policy come with Uninsured Loss Protection?
    BGN, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Cap'n

    Cap'n Guest

    Damn...didn't realise that.

    Cheques in the post.
    Cap'n, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Cap'n

    Chris Guest

    Been there, done that, got the T-shirt (some dopey git tried to park in
    the same car parking space without seeing the bike and bumped it off the
    side stand...at least they were honest enough to leave their genuine
    contact details, and stack the pieces of fairing and indicator neatly on
    the seat).

    Think of your own insurance as your - ahem - insurance when someone has
    a claim against you. So it doesn't apply in this case - you go direct to
    the 3rd party's insurance.

    BTW, I'm sure your own insurer's legal team will be keen to help as they
    will also charge said third party insurers for their time! Your call.

    Good luck!

    Chris, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Cap'n

    Chris Guest

    I refer the gentleman to my previous reply....

    Best bet might be to pass all the details on to your insurer making it
    very clear that you are not at fault, and let their legal rottweilers
    sort it out. It saves you an awful lot of phone calls.

    Chris, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Cap'n

    Cap'n Guest

    They backed into my bike (parked on centre stand) in a car park. He
    admitted he couldn't see it over the kiddie seats in the back (Volvo
    Estate)...although he was coming out of a marked space, my bike was
    *not* in a marked space.

    Dunno if I have legal cover - doesn't ring any bells. I have Uninsured
    Loss Recovery...is that any good?

    Just phoned my insure again but reaslised it was an out-of-hours
    claims/answer service. They took the details this time & now I need to
    contact eBike Insurance tomorrow.
    Cap'n, Feb 12, 2006
  11. Cap'n

    BGN Guest

    If you have legal cover (some places include it in all of their TPF&T
    quotes) then your insurance company will use their own legal team to
    persure the person that backed into your bike.

    Uninsured Loss Recovery will cover things like your helmet, soft
    panniers and other bits and bobs if the other drivers insurance will
    not pay out for them. It also covers you if your bike is written off
    by an uninsured driver and things like that.

    If you have an expensive helmet then it is worth noting that your
    helmet was also attached to your bike at the time the car backed into
    it. Even though you can't see any obvious damage to your helmet it's
    a good idea to claim for another one on their insurance. As long as
    the helmet was attached to the helmet ring on the bike, obviously,
    Make sure you have a damn good look around your bike at all the scuffs
    and damage the car has done to both sides of it and anything chipped
    panels, tank, panniers, bar ends, mirrors and clutch/brake lever as
    they should all be made good again. I'd suggest you ask eBike if they
    mind you taking it to a garage to have things like the air filter
    replaced as if it's been on its side it could have oil in it now (but
    what do I know?) and suchlike.
    BGN, Feb 12, 2006
  12. Cap'n

    Monkey Guest

    The exact same thing happened to me last year - dozy bint in a 4x4 reversed
    into my bike while it was parked. OK, she didn't admit liability at the time
    (her response was 'well that was a stupid place to park, wasn't it?), but I
    took loads of photos at the scene, so she wouldn't have had a leg to stand
    on if she'd denied it.

    I was TPFT only, but I did have legal cover as well, which may have made a
    difference. Anyway, I contacted Carole Nash the same day (strictly speaking,
    you're meant to do this for *any* accident, regardless of whether claims are
    being made or not). They passed it onto their solicitors, who sorted
    everything out with minimal input from me, and the bike was fully repaired
    about six weeks after the accident. All in all, I was pretty impressed by
    how easy it was. YMMV.
    Monkey, Feb 12, 2006
  13. Cap'n

    Monkey Guest

    As mentioned in my other post, you can go through your own insurers easily
    enough - although I guess going direct to the other party's insurance might
    yield a quicker result for smaller claims, seeing as they'd rather pay up
    quick than incur legal fees from your solicitor (I've had friends to this in
    the past with no problems), and there's one less party involved.

    If you're definitely going to make a claim though, I'd cover your back and
    tell your own insurers, even if you're going to be sorting things out
    direct. If the other party tries to claim off you as well (unlikely in your
    case, admittedly), and you haven't informed your insurers about the
    accident, you could run into problems.
    Monkey, Feb 12, 2006
  14. Cap'n

    Cap'n Guest

    Informed my insurers now (or at least with their out-of-hours claim line
    anyway). Perp has admitted full liability (& I guess he's told his
    insurer that too - I have his incident ref number). He's said there is
    no damage at all to his car. Now to call my insurer first thing tomorrow
    & then (I think) speak to his insurer.
    Cap'n, Feb 12, 2006
  15. Cap'n

    BGN Guest

    If you have legal cover then your insurer should speak to his at take
    BGN, Feb 12, 2006
  16. Cap'n

    Chris Guest

    Hey, I quite like the colour of the sky on my planet.... ;-)
    Good point - yes, I am/was covered FC (hey, age does have some
    advantages!) and I did have legal/uninsured loss cover which might
    explain why it worked out the way it did. My poor overworked brain
    always lumps the uninsured losses cover in with the main cover as "my
    bike insurance".

    However I must admit I would find it a bit unsporting if my insurance
    company wouldn't help me out with a claim if I was 100% not to blame,
    whatever the cover. Even if it was simply a conversation explaining how
    to pursue the claim in the real world. If they weren't helpful, they'd
    be toast at renewal time.


    Chris, Feb 12, 2006
  17. Cap'n

    BGN Guest

    Sounds simple to me. Write to the thrid party insurance company.

    Legal Cover on TPF&T if not included is only about £10-£20. Even
    though I've never had cause to use it whenever I've had anything
    insured TPF&T I've always plumped for the legal cover.
    BGN, Feb 12, 2006
  18. Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote
    Nuffin new there then.
    steve auvache, Feb 12, 2006
  19. Cap'n wrote
    You need to carefully consider how your Thieving Bastards interface with
    their customers and seek a new set of crooks for next year. Mine at
    least take money off me and keep me smiling.
    steve auvache, Feb 12, 2006
  20. In uk.rec.motorcycles, Cap'n belched forth and ejected the following:
    Google for Rider Support Services and let them sort it out.
    Whinging Courier, Feb 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.