Selling an accident damaged bike

Discussion in 'UK Motorcycles' started by Dynamic, Sep 14, 2004.

  1. Dynamic

    Dynamic Guest

    I have been paid out for the damage to the TZR in last years accident, but
    was told I got to keep the bike.
    Now it has come to getting rid of the bike, it has come to my attention that
    there may be slightly more to selling it than I thought.

    The DVLA booklet (supplied with the new style V5C) came up with this little

    Q. What to do if I want to sell/dispose of my accident-damaged vehicle and I
    am third party insured.

    A. BY LAW you should inform us if you sell/dispose of a vehicle with
    significant unrepaired accident damage, covered by third party insurance.
    * Return the Certificate to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.
    *Write a letter to accompany the Certificate giving the date of the
    accident, date of sale and name and address of the new keeper.
    *You should give the new keeper a bill of sale and section 10.

    What would be classed as "significant unrepaired accident damage"?

    What would be the repercussions of just selling the bike as normal?
    Should I bother with any of this shit, or just sell it as is, as they most
    likely won't know or take any action?

    Dynamic, Sep 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Sell it as is. Put on the receipt: "Sold for spare parts. Not
    roadworthy", and make two copies and get the buyer to sign both. Keep
    one yourself.
    The Older Gentleman, Sep 14, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Dynamic

    Dynamic Guest

    No, the front brake is FUBAR'd, and it is missing the right footpeg.
    It isn't being advertised as I'm selling it to a guy I know from work, but
    the reciept idea is a good one.


    Dynamic, Sep 15, 2004
  4. Dynamic

    Dynamic Guest

    Good plan,

    Dynamic, Sep 15, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.