Suzuki Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Motorbike Technical Discussion' started by bhsdataman, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. bhsdataman

    bhsdataman Guest

    My wife has a 1983 Suzuki GS650G that has started leaking oil like a seive.
    It seems to be coming from around the cover on the overhead valves. We
    purchased this bike for her about 6 weeks ago, & it was as clean & dry as
    I've seen for an older bike. I was just wondering if anyone has any
    experience with this type of bike, so I could start troubleshooting before
    my Clymer manual arrives in a couple of days. She drives it about 50 miles
    per day, & doesn't want to go back to driving a car to & from work. This is
    #1 for Saturday's "honey do" list. I'm fairly new to working on bikes, but
    have owned my own lawnmower repair shop for several years, so I should be
    able to catch on pretty quickly. Any help getting me jump started on solving
    this issue is greatly appreciated!!!!

    bhsdataman, Jun 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. bhsdataman

    Mark Olson Guest

    The tachometer cable feedthrough is the first place I would look at
    as well.

    Be very careful with the cam cover bolts, they are not to
    be torqued very tight at all. The cam cover and the cylinder head
    are very precisely machined, and the gasket is a precision molded
    affair that fits into a groove in the cam cover. Not a lot of force
    is needed to make this joint seal.

    If there is a leak between the cylinder head and the cam cover, do
    not overtighten the cover bolts in an attempt to stop it. The only
    place you should use any sealant is on the half round plugs in the
    sides of the cam cover that fit in the cutouts where the cams line
    up to. Otherwise, the cam cover gasket should be totally clean,
    just apply a light coating of engine oil to it before installing it.
    Mark Olson, Jun 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. bhsdataman

    John Johnson Guest

    When did they switch to a groove in the cam cover? My '81 GS650E used a
    flat paper gasket between two flat surfaces.


    'indiana' is a noun. Leave only the noun between @ and .edu to reply
    John Johnson, Jun 19, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.